I Think I Deserve Free Treatment!
So this is mostly going to be a rant post as I am SO upset right now! For those of you who don’t know, my husband and I adopted a 1-year-old Alaskan Klee Kai (miniature husky) dog from the local animal shelter last year February. We named her Dakota. So, this year she is now 2 years old and we’ve had her for one year. Well, the shelter gave her the rabies vaccination and we got her micro-chipped and that was that. I knew that her rabies vaccination was due on the 2nd of February so I called the vet we took her to get spayed at to set up an appointment for this shot. John and I were short on money, so we didn’t set up a full exam–just the vaccination.
Our appointment was on the 4th of February, and I talked to the doctor about how we had gotten her from the shelter, etc. She asked if we had been taking her another place for her other vaccinations as she had only been there to get spayed. I told her no, as I didn’t know what other vaccinations she needed. She listed a few, the required ones such as the rabies one and distemper. She then mentioned the one for Kennel Cough, which is a very contagious disease among dogs. I decided I wanted her to get this, even though she is rarely around other pups. The doctor informed me that there had actually been a dog with Kennel Cough in the vet’s office that day. Well, I set up the appointment for the end of the month, when John and I would be getting paid again and we could afford to have her get a full exam plus these important vaccinations.
Today, Dakota has been showing every sign of this Kennel Cough thing, hacking and gagging like something is stuck in her throat. I feel so bad for her, as there really isn’t much we can do, especially it being the weekend. I am also feeling so freaking angry that she got sick at the vet. How ridiculous is that?!! I took my dog to the vet to get a vaccination, and she gets sick. I definitely think we should get some free treatment for her, since she got sick from being at the vet. She wouldn’t have been exposed to the virus if I hadn’t taken her in. We are planning on calling tomorrow to bitch them out, which is totally what should happen. If I had thought about it at the time, when the doctor had mentioned that there had been a dog there earlier that day with the disease, I would have asked what would happen if she got it. But, I never think of those things at the moment… always when it’s too late. What do you guys think about this ridiculous situation?